Monday, September 7, 2015

Smize

(PHOTO: C.WONG)

“Why don’t you smile more?”

“Are you going to be warm enough?”

If I had a dollar for every time the photo-bug prompts me with these wary questions, I would have my own robotic team of traveling heaters by now. Alas, the age-old “it’s not part of aesthetics response” is truly dated now, so I will just come out and let you on a secret as to why I rarely ever smile, and probably why I need to start now. 
 

I forget to.

Yes yes, it also has to do with the fact that most of the time, my default resting face is halfway between a scowl and vacant stare (CBF syndrome is a thing).  But the reality is a little less a cultural critique on why women should smile unless they so choose, and a lot more to do with the fact that I simply forget.

I am more focused on suppressing crippling embarrassment at having my photographs taken—I am far removed from the illusion that I am a model by any means of the term—than I am about remembering to grin. Or smirk. Or smoulder. Six years behind the camera so suddenly being the one the lens is pointed at isn’t something I’m used to.

And my gosh, people stare. The familiar heat burning around my neck sets my hand off like a habitual tick (you’ll notice what I mean when you see the trend: a hand hovering the face as a result of a nervous habit). I wonder when I’ll learn to be a bit more natural in front of the camera and a little less self-conscious about passer-by’s.

Flashing teeth aside, I wanted to show off this stunning playsuit as a precursor to summer romance and warmer afternoons all of which have been sorely missed. I wore it to the Melbourne Spring Fashion Week in which my favourite designers were showcasing their contemporary collection.

Flurry of hot whites and sheers and netting flew down the runway that night. Yeojin Bae’s closing collection was easily a favourite; structural skirts leading the way for transformations for office wear to date night. Love, love, love.

All in all, I can’t wait to update you all on my upcoming trips. Salty hair and sun-kissed skin is no longer a wallpaper screen-saver, and I’m getting mine even if Melbourne is staying stubbornly cold.

Playsuit // Alice McCall 
Heels // Windsor Smith
Clutch // River Island
Jewellery // Lovisa


Love,
Vk

No comments:

Post a Comment